The name of the Auberge is refers to the public weigh houses where all goods were weighed to make official any transactions by local farmers for their harvested crops. The weighing scales are now in the main dining room and the weighing platform is just outside. The different collections of historical objects in and around the Auberge bring the past to life and exhibit traditional know-how.
The “café Gaxieu”, opened around 1900 and created by the Sarda-Gaxieu family was a hotel, café, restaurant and petrol station. It was already famous for its cuisine back then…
In 1968, the café Gaxieu became the Auberge du Poids Public, and was taken over in 1990 by Claude and Denise Taffarello who entirely renovated the Auberge over the years, collecting several awards along the way, and strongly establishing the hotel’s reputation.